Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Welcome Samuel!

Samuel Andrew ~ 16th July '07

We were up early on Monday 16th July to go into the hospital. It was freezing cold, but there was a beautiful sunrise. We arrived at hospital at 6.45 and were taken to our room. Bed number 19. I had a shower and put on the 'lovely' hospital gown and we basically waited around until about 8am when I was taken down to theatre and prepped for the c/s. It seemed to take forever as the anaesthetist kept disappearing. Eventually the epidural was in and I was wheeled into theatre and Daddy was allowed to join me (dressed in the 'lovely' suit he had to wear). I started getting the shakes from the meds and was feeling the cold but finally at 9.15am I heard the gurgling sound of a lusty cry as you, Samuel Andrew, were pulled out. You looked huge and angry, but extremely cute! You were taken over to the warming table and checked over, receiving apgars of 9 and 10. Daddy cut the cord and you were wrapped up and brought over to me for first kisses and cuddles.We had to wait in surgery a bit longer as I had a tubal ligation as well. Daddy and you stayed in with me and then I was taken down to recovery where you had your first breastfeed. You fed really well and soon we were headed back to our room.
Later that afternoon Megan, Zach and Ethan came to meet their new baby brother. Meg and Zach were overawed and seemed entranced with how tiny and cute you were. Ethan was a little more standoffish and refused to acknowledge that 'the baby' was finally here. Grandma and Poppy were also thrilled to meet grandchild number 7. You slept and fed well the first night, waking every 2-3 hrs.We had visits from Aunty Kelly, Aunty Jen and Tim, Uncle Ian and Aunty Jade, along with cousins Eden, Beth and Ryley over the next few days. Aunty Kel gave us a huge box filled with baby goodies and choccy for mum, and kept sneaking in contraband goodies past the nurses. Grandma and Poppy bought you a big puppy dog and balloon and brought in a gorgeous flower arrangement and Daddy and the kids brought us flowers as well. On Thursday, 19th July we were finally going home. The doctor checked you over and pronounced you in perfect health and mummy was given the all clear as well. Daddy and Ethan had come to pick us up and we finally headed out into the big wide world together. You looked so tiny in your carseat and Ethan was very interested in watching you beside him in the car. He fell asleep watching you on the way home. We bought you inside and you slept in your bed for the first time. Megan and Zach were thrilled to have you home, when they returned from school. Ethan wasn't sure about having you in the house - kept calling you 'stoopid' and 'disgusting' - he was really feeling the fact of no longer being 'the baby' in the family.
We had a few issues with your feeding over the next few days. the midwives came and visited us at home until Sunday and helped out a lot with your attachment. Mummy ended up with cracked nipples and feeding was not going to plan. It made it very hard going on some days and with the added pain of the c/s, I was really struggling to cope. There were many times when I just sat there sobbing - it had never been this hard before. Breastfeeding was what I was good at.I felt like such a failure. It didn't help that I couldn't lay in bed, as it just hurt too much to get up again. I ended up sleeping on the lounge for over a week so I could sleep more upright. You sleeping patterns were totally out of whack. You slept for around 4 hr stretches during the day, but were waking at night every 2 hrs or so.
At the moment you are 8 days old and we are slowly getting into the swing of things. Mummy went and saw a lactation consultant yesterday, who gave us some good tips and we had a much better day feeding. Last night you slept 4 hrs, then 3 hrs and mummy felt almost human this morning! Your cord stump fell off yesterday as well.
You have the most gorgeous windy smiles, just makes our hearts melt to see it. I am sure your real smiles when they happen are going to be just priceless! The noise of the house and kids doesn't bother you at all. You sleep happily out in the lounge room while chaos reigns. Last night you were laying in your bouncer and watching the corner of a pillowcase and were swinging your hand out trying to grab at it. Your sister is absolutely in love with you and is always asking to hold you. Unfortunately for her, as all babies do, you sleep and eat and sleep again, so when she gets a chance to hold you , you are usually ready for a feed and tend to cry. Meg has decided it is good luck if you cry when she holds you! Zachary also loves to sit and cuddle you. Ethan asks to hold you, but it is usually a very quick sit on his knee, then he pushes you away. At least he has stopped calling you stoopid!!
That is it for now - you are sleeping as I type, making cute little noises and looking ever so sweet. Welcome to the family Samuel - we already love you so much and are looking forward to watching you grow.

No comments: